Water levels in the Rio Grande can fluctuate considerably over the course of a year, sometimes over the course of just a few minutes. The river is considered ideal for canoe trips about 90% of the time. The remaining 10% is split between being two high for canoeing and too low.  Inflatable rafts require a greater minimum flow to be able to comfortably get down river. During the last 2-3 years, rafting has been feasible about 65% of the time. Check with local experts for current conditions and availability.